March 10, 2021
Bronto Software, an Oracle company, announced this week in an email to its customers that it will be ceasing support for the product in the near future. End-of-life for the email software platform will be early 2022, and customers have one year to find a new provider.
So, what’s the big deal? Software companies acquire and then merge competitors’ platforms into their own all the time. Why should this be any different? There are several key areas to consider:
- Timing: While companies will have a full year to move, this could very well hamper the ability to effectively communicate with customers and prospects this year, depending on their seasonality.
- Channels: If an organization is using multiple channels, then these will need to be untethered and recreated in a new platform. These are deployment costs that many companies would not have planned for in 2021.
- Processes: Moving to a new software platform requires a shift in how companies currently do business to accommodate the new platform.
- Overall Costs: There is a possibility that moving to a new platform will increase costs and decrease functionality. Plus, there are the intangible costs of moving from Bronto to a new platform.
- New Capabilities: It is also be possible that a new platform may have more functionality that had been previously lacking in Bronto, which would require an organization to think through ‘how’ they’d tap into it effectively. Strategic insights will be critical to utilizing new features.
- Integrations: If a company has integrated various other platforms into Bronto (like an event platform, CRM, or data enrichment platform), these will need to be evaluated as part of the shift. Organizations may need updates to their CRM structure, or possibly even new technology, to support existing cross-platform partnerships, which could require custom code. Documenting and assessing current integrations is an important step.
- B2B vs. B2C (and more): Some platforms on the market do an outstanding job of enabling the various business models. From enabling complex lead grading and scoring in the B2B world, to sophisticated transactional orchestration across loyalty, e-commerce and service-based communications enhance Direct to Consumer engagement. Organizations need to understand exactly what their needs are before making the switch.
- Training / Adoption / Change Management: Moving to a new platform requires a focus on ensuring that the team and the company understand how to adapt to the change in order to be successful.
- Data Management / Legal Compliance: In the age of GGPR, CCPA, and CANSPAM, transitioning email users from one platform is tricky. Ensuring that governance processes are in place to support these legal requirements is critical for the transition. Working closely with your information security team will prove fruitful in the migration of sensitive information.
- Customer Segmentation Strategies: Shifting to a new platform is also an opportunity to revise and rethink segmentation approaches to better utilize CRM-based management of segments and automation. Any company that has struggled with segmentation will find this a breath of fresh air to release the shackles of the past and identify a better path with a new system.
At Acumen Solutions, a Salesforce Company, we help our clients navigate these decisions to ensure the best possible path forward. We understand that in this world of increasingly digital and personalized communications, making a change to your email platform is not trivial. And, if your email system is both promotional and transactional, picking the right platform and process is vital.
We also understand that everyone’s business model is slightly different. Two companies in manufacturing may have very different communications requirements. One may use distributors and dealers, while the other may choose to go Direct to Consumer. Whether your company is B2B, B2C, or B2B2C - or any other type of combination - we’ve seen it all and helped companies stand up the right marketing automation solution. Our job is to provide strategic guidance, a practical roadmap, and the actual implementation so that you can focus on running your business. And, because of our focus on the Salesforce suite of tools, we can implement the entire ecosystem: Pardot; Marketing Cloud; Interaction Studio; Datorama; Customer 360 Audiences; and more.
Customers of Bronto Software will need to move quickly to create a transition plan. We can help navigate these decisions and implement a scalable solution on any Salesforce platform.
Reach out to our team of marketing experts today at email@example.com to learn more.